Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Knitting and Maybe Cleaning






And I had to share this little owl.  I ran into it in Walmart in the children's department: it is the perfect size for a socks project bag.  Just shows that you have to keep your eyes open no matter where you are.

I think it has been years since I won anything but recently I hit the jackpot.  I won these items from Julie at The Crafty Quilter.  My winnings included a quilt pattern, a Moda charm pack and a beautiful fabric necklace made by Julie.  I was excited when she told me I had won but way more excited when I opened the package.  Thank you, Julie.

People who have been reading my blog for some time know that I became quite ill last summer.  But really it started several month before, we just didn't realize what was happening.  This picture really shows how long it has been since I was up and going: this quilt was put on the frame in September, 2014.  I was whizzing right along and then two things happened: The machine started snapping the thread and I was unable to stand long enough to deal with it.  So this is where the quilt is now and I have quilted about 3 rows and have 2 to go.  I should have it done this month but the next two pictures will show why that may not happen.

This is my ironing board.  Both ends are piled with fabrics from three or four different projects.  With just that little space I have not been able to do much and am easily frustrated when I try.  My goal this week is to clear this off so I can begin to be quilting productive again.

However there is one other problem.  Under all of this, accumulated over the last several months, is my 3' x 5' cutting table.  My current plan is to put everything here into a laundry basket so I can work on the table and then work from the basket to put things away.  During my illness I would come to work, get things out and then be overwhelmed either by the mess or my lack of energy and just leave the area.  My husband offered to clean it up but I was afraid I would never find anything so I am going to work at it a little at a time.

My studio is a 3 room mobile office divided into a quilting room, a sewing room, and a prep/knitting room.  All of the rooms need work but I think that if I can get these areas up and running I can deal with whatever else needs to be done.  At least that is my plan.

I am very fortunate.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer that has moved into my entire skeletal system.  We thought it was a death sentence but with medication I appear to be MUCH better than I was and am able to do most of what I was doing before I knew I was sick.  God has been so very good to me and I hope to be able to use the time given to me wisely.  Gari

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I am so happy to hear you are doing well. I think the laundry basket idea is a good one. You will be able to work on quilty things and just handle the putting away a few pieces at a time. I need to do that too on my cutting table.

Lindah said...

So glad to learn that you are feeling better. Isn't it interesting how 'stuff' accumulates, even when we are not looking! But your DH offered to clean it up for you? He is a keeper, for sure. But I understand the need to do one's own putting away/organizing of things, so the laundry basket idea sounds like an efficient way to clear the surfaces. Then, you can sit down and work at it at your own speed.

Thank you for this blog update. Always great to read your posts. God bless you and keep you.

pollyanna said...

I love your knitted shell :) You did such a great job and look stunning in it. And the greatest news is that medication has been successful. I am so very glad.

Kate said...

Your shell turned out beautifully and you wear it very well. Good luck with your organization efforts. I tend to tackle big projects a piece at a time, it's much more manageable from a mental stand point.

Unknown said...

So good to see all you are doing. Have a problem with Eric helping you get organized. His office was the standard at LBW for office organization😀😀

Judy S. said...

Love your purple socks, Gari, and so glad you're feeling better. Carpe Diem has been my motto ever since I was treated for breast cancer for the second time. May you continue to do well and Carpe Diem! Blessings, too.

Dar said...

Your shell looks great on you. Good job. So glad you are doing better and my prayers are that you continue to feel good. Those things on the ironing board will get taken care of a little at a time. I work like that all the time in my sewing room. As soon as I get one place cleared and clean, there is another area that needs doing. It just never seems to be all clean at one time! Keeps me out of trouble lol

Jennifer said...

What an ordeal you have been through - I hope the meds/treatments allow you to have some of your energy back! Your shell is really nice, and I feel for you and your sewing room. My daughter's looks about the same, but with no excuse! She has to pick up 3 things everyday...in theory it makes a difference!

Roslyn said...

You are on the prayer list Gari and may you continue to overcome this evil disease.
I understand the overwhelm with our quilting stuff i cannot operate in chaos!
Xxxx