Guess what! It is Design Wall Monday, again. And although I feel very accomplished this week, all I did was get the top for a table topper done.
As I am sure everyone who reads Judy’s blog, this is the color pallet for June’s challenge.
This was my plan…..
And this was my finished block.
Next came the project plan.
This was the plan and ….
This was the block with the corner triangles. I hadn’t intended for the block to float but I couldn’t remember the formula for cutting the triangles, decided to err on the side of being too big and then liked the floating effect and left it that way.
And lastly came the completed top: two borders with on point square in a square blocks in the corners. The top really is square but I was taking this picture this morning in the bright sunshine (couldn’t really see the image) and while I was talking to my daughter on the same phone. Anyway, I am really excited with how this has come out and hope to begin quilting it later this week.
I am not a pink fan and am always surprised when I run across this fabric in my stash. I plan to use it again for the binding but that will not even come close to using it up. The backing will be the same as the striped background fabric in the block. The topper measures 32” square and will sit on point on our table.
One of the reasons I didn’t spend as much time in the studio this week is that we had a repair (handy) man out to fix the leak we had around the microwave vent. He found that the shingles are stapled down and the wind and heat had encouraged some staples to pop up and the wind had torn the shingle and allowed rain water to FLOOD in. He also said that although our roof looks to be in really good condition, several other shingles/staples are popping up. We had him pound them back down and today he is coming to add a nail or two to all the shingles on the roof to help with this problem.
Then, while he was here we talked to him about putting a roof over our deck (read front porch). I have always wanted a fiberglass corrugated translucent roof to allow light while still giving shade and respite from rain. Well, they don’t seem to make that anymore and the “plastic” stuff is awful (read very poor reviews). So after searching the internet we spent Saturday afternoon at Lowes and Home Depot looking at what they had and have pretty much decided on a heavy gauge tin roof. I will be talking to the handyman tomorrow as well as checking out what the local builder’s supply places have and the prices. Then I think we will start the process of building a cover for 33’ of decking. How neat to walk out the door and not get wet or hit by the sun.