Monday, October 19, 2015

No Stitching–Some Family Time

I don’t think I even set foot in the studio last week.  On Monday I saw the orthopedic surgeon’s nurse practitioner who told me I was free to do as much as I could.  I complained at the slow progress I was making and she reminded me that I had had 3 surgeries within 5 weeks (none my idea) and that my body was still reeling from the assaults.  So I stopped my complaining.  Then it was off to breakfast out and some shopping at the drug store (which has been getting a lot of our money).

On Tuesday I visited with the cardiologist.  I was again reminded that every time you go to a doctor you have to give them all the same information that you just gave the other doctors.   Anyway, he was pretty happy with how my heart and pacemaker are working together.  He did think there was room for improvement and turned the beats per minute up a bit.  I can’t tell the difference.  Both of these doctors don’t want to see me again until mid-December which is just fine by me.

And today I started the new medication that is supposed to be more potent in cancer retarding.  I will see the oncologist in two weeks and he will be looking at my lab work to see if it is doing what it is supposed to do.  Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile we have been visiting with family.  Our daughter came by on Saturday and we fell into watching football.  She is a rabid fan (wrong school) and yells as though she were in the stands.  She and hubby were so involved I called her the son he never had: I don’t think any of our three sons are as passionate as Lisa.
Kia Soul
We offered to take her to lunch and she drove us in her new car.  Then the funny thing was that she paid for lunch.  Not bad, huh?

Two for the road.

And I must say we looked pretty good in it.

Ryder 10-18-15

This past Sunday we went to Florida to visit our grandson, his wife, and their really sweet son, Ryder.  We treated them, and ourselves, to Red Lobster where I ate 1# of crab legs and drawn butter.  I was still cracking shells long after everyone else was done: it was worth it!!

Mom & Ryder reading

Back at their house his Mommy read to him.  Look at how involved he is in the book.  He is not quite 11 months and you would swear he was reading along with her.

Ryder and Dad (Chris)
And then it was time to climb on Daddy.  We were again impressed both with how happy a baby Ryder is and his parents approach to parenting.

I do have to say that I was quite tired by the time we got home so was in bed early.  Now I just have to get myself motivated to do my exercises and then move on to fabric manipulation and then yarn entanglement.

I hope everyone who reads this has a great week with a sense of accomplishment, great or small.  Gari


Quiltlady said...

I am happy to hear that your health is improving. Family time is good time - the quilting and knitting will wait.

Brenda said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I had a baby who was totally engrossed in books before age 1 and he's now a very literate and intelligent university student.

Randi Ortega said...

Looks like some wonderful memories made! Glad you are feeling better and wishing you a speedy recovery the rest of the way!

Kate said...

Glad that you are healing well and able to get out and do the things you'd like. Three surgeries in 5 weeks is a lot. Another way to look at it, is you got it all over at once and didn't have it spread out over a couple of years.

Hope you've found some time to get back into the sewing room and sit with your knitting.

Roslyn said...

So glad you are making progress Gari you have had a lot to contend with, but you are dealing with it gracefully! I struggle with that, i fight all these age related isues and sometimes I lose! But I think quilters are a stubborn lot and we just keep getting up again and going on.
I have one sock knitted from class two years ago, I need to get back to it but I need another class now!
Blessings for even more healing Gari.