Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas Quilt Show


My contribution to the Christmas Quilt Show is Flight School. It is a modification of a pattern I found in a Quiltmaker magazine a couple of years ago but since I have not been able to find it again I cannot say what issue or who the original designer was. If anyone knows, please let me know so I can give proper credit.


I made this quilt because we have a rather large fireplace hearth that encompasses the fireplace and a built in bookshelf. Our Christmas village is laid out on this hearth but the bookshelf was distracting. I had been covering the bookshelf with Christmas fabric but when I saw this pattern I knew it was the perfect setting for the village.


The quilt is 44"x40". The snow was quilted with nickle sized pebbles and the sky with a sidewise meander and occasional stars. I also quilted the "rays" behind the reindeer.


The quilt was hanging in our local quilt show last weekend. Although there is no Rudolph I overheard a small boy telling his mother that his favorite quilt was the Rudolph quilt. It made me smile.


If you haven't started the Christmas Quilt Show tour, hop on over to SewCalGal and enjoy some Christmas fun, beauty and inspiration.

19 comments:

Paula said...

Hey Gari,
This is a very unique quilt, I like it. Yes, in a little ones'
eyes they do see Rudolph, how sweet.

You should enter two of your christmas projects into my sewing challenge, here at, Paula's Sewing Challenges, any you could win a little something, something.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh that is so unique! I totally love it. And such a good idea to put it up so your bookcase is not distracting.

Teresa F. said...

Outstanding quilt!

Joanna said...

It's very pretty and very unique. And that little boy found something to enjoy at the quilt show:)

Lois said...

That is a great quilt and I bet it does do a wonderful job behind the village set. I sure enjoyed being able to see it. Thank you. Love Lois

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

Love it! Magical! I'm sure it looks great with your village.

Nanbon44 said...

love this wonderful quilt, thank you for sharing

Carol said...

Love all the reindeers.

Karen said...

Hi Gari.
This is such a lovely quilt. I quite like the idea of the reindeer going to flight school! Beautiful work on your quilt, it looks great.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the name. Great quilt and the perfect way to hide your bookshelf. Love the little boy's comment.

Teresa said...

What a great quilt, love the name!

Nancy Sue said...

What a wonderful quilt! And a great name! You're right, I can just imagine Rudolph leading the group, so he's just to the left of where the quilt starts!

QuiltSue said...

This is a great quilt. I love the little boy's comment too.

Nina Marie said...

Oh what a great modification - I'm of the mind that I never saw a pattern that didn't need changing!! Love the originality of this piece!

Pat said...

Nice quilt. Very fitting name. Good job!

Quiltbenaco said...

E' stupendo, veramente!
Bellissimo il commento del ragazzino
Grazie
Ciao Domenica

Kim said...

This is so pretty. Perfect name for the pattern.

Regina said...

Love it and I think that comment from the little boy alone would make the work into making it SO worth it!