I am really excited, I am finally getting back to working on a quilt. This is block 3 of Esther Aliu's 2016 BOM. And, yes, I am way behind. Her applique quilts really challenge me and I am very careful to choose which ones of hers I try. Well, this one is right on the edge. This block was not too difficult and today I finished it, as far as I can go until all of the rest are ready to be put together.
This is the next block and the last one I have ready. I hope to start stitching the applique down this week and to get back to working on the next block. I have all of the pieces ready I just need to put them together, not a little job. And then there will be 7 more before it is ready to be completed. Sometimes I really do wonder why I love quilting. 😏
While I was choosing which thread to use I pulled out this red. Then I took the plastic off, that holds the thread together, and saw how it was discolored. I remembered that I had a thread bleed on a previous piece and wondered if this was the same one. And if it discolored the plastic what would it do on my fabric?
So I decided to throw it away and not take a chance. I know that I was VERY upset when thread made such a mess of a project and was really upset today when I saw that it came from a well known manufacturer.
This past week I made my first and second pillowcase. Now I know that thousands of others have made millions of pillowcases but I hadn't. I am not showing them because they will be gifted so I am showing the fabric I pulled to make two for me. After I get these done I will start making kids pillowcases to go with the charity quilts I am planning. I have to do these four because I can't seem to remember the formula for how to put them together: I have had to rip out 42" of stitches. But after four I should have the thing down.
This is my new knitting project. I have another sweater going but I am not sure I like the yarn I bought so when this kit came in I jumped ship and started it.
I got it from Craftsy. The yarn came in huge balls and since I am knitting both front pieces at the same time, I have to work with two of them. It has been lots of fun, so far.
This is how far I have gotten. The sweater is knit from the top down so I have done the top of the collar and have added stitches for the collar extension, I think. I really love how the color/value of the blue changes and I like the feel of this acrylic yarn.
And now for a personal *****. If you have read my previous blog posts (here) you know that I am working on decreasing my back pain. The above picture is how my back looks, minus the part that goes lower. This is all a part of a trial to see if this will work for me. I have a "wire" up my spine and all that tape is keeping it there and in place. Then there is a plastic box taped there and a "belt" that holds another plastic box. Each of the boxes are attached to leads that are attached to the wire. AND, I have a remote that allows me to choose different "programs" of stimulations that are to ease and/or block the pain. I am on day 3 of 7. I think I am having some relief but I am not sure that it might just be a placebo effect. But I do know that I have been able to stand for longer periods of time, both strength and pain free. We'll see how it goes as I try more and more things.
Have a great week, make the most of what you have, Gari
Linking with Patchwork Times.
Linking with Patchwork Times.