Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Start of Another Week

017
Here is my Design Ironing Board for 7/30/12.  Here are 6 of the 10 completed blocks for a swap: two more to go.  These have not had their final press so they hare not in the BOM box, yet.  I still have 12 blocks for a second swap to sew but they are all embroidered and the pieces cut so it will just be assembly line sewing on Wednesday to have them ready for the mail.

035
My real accomplishment was my apple core placemat.  I didn’t know exactly what I was going to do with my apple core experiment but this past weekend I decided that it would make a great table mat and decided how I was going to accomplish it.

010
The first thing I did was to find a backing fabric: a fat quarter from stash.  Then I pinned the cores to the backing, right sides together, along with a leftover piece of batting.






012
I realize it is hard to see one piece from the other so here is a close-up of the one pinned to the other.








019
I then sewed all around the outside of the apple cores, 1/4” away from the edge, leaving about a 4” opening at one end.





021
I then cut the new sewn together three pieces right at the edge of the cores. 






023
Next I cut the outside edge of the batting as close to the stitching as I could get.





026
Now tell me, doesn’t this look funny?  This is what my mat looked like while I was turning it.
Before I turned it I trimmed the corners to have as little bulk as possible.


027
After sewing the turning hole closed (whip stitched) it was time to quilt.  The first thing I did was to stitch in the winding ditch.  I did this on my domestic straight stitch machine that has a pinstitch feature.





037
But once I had the ditches stitched I decided to add some echo stitching.  And I must say I really like how it looks.  I, however, did decide that when I make a larger apple core quilt, I will not quilt it this way.





047
And here it is in it’s new home on the deck.

My apple core GO die has arrived at my LQS and I will be picking it up Wednesday but even though I really enjoyed making this mat, it will be a while before I start a full sized apple core quilt.  I have way too many on going projects to start that anytime soon.


This week I will be working on my Carol Doak BOM block, the rest of my swap blocks and the borders on Henrietta.  Let’s see if I can get most of that done, shall we?

Deck update:  049
I bought another hanging plant.  It is not easy to find orange flowers so when I saw this it had to come home with me.  We have also be sitting in a lot of rocking chairs but it is hard to find one that fits and rocks well so we keep sitting and sitting.

Now, if you are not too tired, why don’t you hop on over to Patchwork Times to see what a bunch of other quilters are working on.

6 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

The little table mat turned out great! Nice quilting. I love orange flowers. They are so bright and happy!

Vicki H. said...

Thanks for sharing how you did that, I think I will try it for place mats too!!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the shape of the mat and the quilting on it is beautiful. I agree, it's not that easy finding a nice orange flower.

Melinda said...

Have you tried Cracker Barrel for rockers? I think mine are from Publix a couple of years ago. I like your apple cores.

Bonnie said...

Neat job on the apple core... love the quilting. Keep sitting until you find exactly what feels the best re: rocking chairs...

Anonymous said...

I love the apple core piece! I love curved piecing, but I really haven't done much. Love how you quilted it,too!