Monday, July 6, 2009

Quilting Rebellion

My design wall still has the Christmas swap blocks on it and then over them I have put some ideas for a gift quilt. I, however, have decided that at this time I don’t want to work on either. I will leave them up until I need the space and if I am not ready to work on them by then, back to the UFO shelf they go.

On Friday I took a stroll through a local nursery and these hydrangea bushes “jumped” into my car.

I had them sitting in the shade of an oak tree and started digging a hole. This was not a successful venture as we live on clay which is HARD. I dug a little and then filled it with water with the idea of the clay getting softer. When I went out later there was a really big hole. Seems that DH had seen my puny effort and took that as an excuse to go to Walmart where he bought a post hole digger. So we got the first one planted in. Then we started the little bit of digging and water soaking routine for the second. Last night we had a storm and are having off and on storms all day today so the ground should be receptive by tomorrow and the second one can go in.


I have started a new project. I have decided to do a Snail’s Trail quilt, similar to one I saw in the latest issue of Fabric Trends. I am going to do this one in batiks and these are the ones I have chosen.






And this is all I have gotten cut. The pattern calls for 14 fabrics so there is still a lot of cutting to do: did I ever say I HATE cutting?





My other sewing accomplishment was to get my Eleanor BOM block done for July. This is the second Dresden plate block I have done: this one I machine appliqu├ęd which was much easier on my hands. But this block is so easy that I may think up a Dresden quilt to do.

And now, before I get to the dishes and then the studio, I think I will accept DH's invitation to lunch.

5 comments:

  1. GREAT idea to do a snail's trail in batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hydrandgeas, They would have jumped in my car if I had seen them first. You should see my mother's back yard. She has huge hydrangeas and they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo....Todd gets his love of having an excuse to go out and buy hardware toys from his father. It all makes sense now. Also, I love the batik fabrics. Very nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabrics for your Snail's trail are fabulous. It'll be a gorgeous quilt when you've finished

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments.