Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Some work - Some play

So far this has been a great week. Monday I spent almost all day in the studio.

I squared up the Fish charity quilt, pieced batting (a tedious job) and found a piece of heavier shirting that was just the right size for backing. So Fish is on the HQ ready to quilt. I am still mulling over quilting ideas so I moved on to other things.

I worked on getting caught up on my calendar challenge strips: I had only completed through the middle of June so I had some catching up to do. I got June done, fabric picked out for all of July and August is almost complete. I also have strips ready for most of September and some for November and December. My next job in this area will be to get caught up on the appliqu├ęs for these strips. And I had been doing so well, too.

Then I spent some time on organization. Not the kind that results in a cleaner studio, oh, no! I made lists: UFOs, tops that need quilting, monthly BOMs and such, gifts I might make (ha, ha), and ideas for new projects. I put these in my day planner so I could refer to them as I go along and hopefully cross some off now and then. lol

Tuesday is laundry day at our house. So I spent the first few hours on the computer watching the first of two disks of “Mrs. King’s Gallery Baskets.” This is a workshop video to make fabric baskets and I can tell you that the DVD is very well done. It made me want to run right over to the studio, cut 1 ½” strips and get going. However, it still was laundry day and so far neither of the machines were making any noise. So I sorted and loaded the washer, good girl that I am, loaded the dishwasher, and decided what to fix for dinner (my turn in the kitchen). Then I decided that while everything was doing it’s thing, I would go grocery shopping. Now, I don’t know about you but the fact that the LQS is clear across town doesn’t mean that I can’t stop there before the grocery store, does it? So a few (quite a few) minutes were spent visiting with friends and buying fabric.

The picture is a little washed out, the background is a very pale green. This will be used as a backing for a gift quilt I am working on. That is all I bought. I usually do not buy fabric for a project, I prefer to buy because I like the fabric and then let it tell me when it wants to be used. But nothing in my stash wanted to be the backing for this particular quilt so I had to go fabric shopping. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

The last pictures are of my hydrangeas. Look at how cute they are.
The three new buds are on the already blooming bush and the one bud is on the other bush. These bushes are only about 2’ high and the blooms are about 3-4” around but I am so excited.

And of course the roses just keep blooming and blooming.

Oh, and the laundry did get done. lol


Pat said...

You got a lot done yesterday, didn't you?

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Busy, busy, busy. Good for you staying on target with the laundry and not running to play with the strips for the fabric baskets! hee,hee,hee.
My guild was just talking about those last night. Sounds like fun.
bunny hugs,

Gina said...

So much done in a day. I'm impressed.

Love the flower photos

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Zlaty said...

You have been busy! Me too! I enjoyed working on my Coffee quilt and few other projects in between!

Love your flowers, here in PA is getting cooler and the flowers are getting dry.

Have a great day!

P.S. I have to move the laundry too! The house work never ends! :)

Roslyn said...

Gari, I piece my batting as I go-I lift the batting access spray baste inside the sandwich,then lay on the next piece of batting, slightly overlapping. I cut through both layers of batting in a wavy line, spray baste again & smooth the top down.
Then I put a few pins through the whole sandwich where the battings meet & remove the pins as i quilt. It works for me, because I will not any longer piece batting on the DS! Like you I hate it!.