A finish here. I cut the bindings yesterday, sewed them together and pressed them this morning and the put them on this afternoon. I made one long binding and just cut them off when I had gone around each piece. I can tell you that they are BRIGHT and really make our table look like summer.
I also got the first block of the new Carol Doak BOM done today. Isn’t it funny that even though paper piecing almost guarantees that you have perfect points I was able to cut off one of them with my picture? Anyway, I am using two batiks from my stash that I think play very well together. If I read Carol right this is a two color quilt (a little more with my batiks) so of course there is orange.
One of the things I am trying to learn though this BOM is how to figure fabric cutting for paper piecing. In the past I have just taken a hunk or strip of fabric, pieced it and then cut off what was left. Doing this left odd shaped leftovers that frequently couldn’t be used for the next piece. Carol gives very specific directions on how to cut for her designs and there was almost no leftover scraps. If I can figure out how she determines her cutting directions I can use this with other projects.
Since I completed what I had set out for this week I will spend the rest of this evening redoing my “to do” list. I have swap blocks to piece (fabric is all cut for all 24 of them), a backing to make for the Carpenter’s Star quilt-along starting June 1st, and 3 2011 BOMs to work on. And that is just a very small list that I hope to make a dent in over this weekend.
I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend and that we all spend some time remembering those who have given their time and lives to keep our country safe and free.