My UFO for this week has been to begin the setting for the Funky Chickens.
Over the last several weeks I had been playing in EQ, trying several different settings. This is the one I have decided on:
I didn’t want them to have a straight setting but to look more like they were in a chicken yard. (Please don’t pay attention to the appliques on this picture. I can’t draw so I used bird pictures from EQ)
The first thing I did was to put the blocks on the wall in a trial setting. I used strips of fabric from an old jelly roll that have never made it into any project, just to see what that setting would look like with the real chickens. It looks pretty good, doesn’t it?
Then I started making the filler blocks and adding the sashing to both the fillers and the chickens. I really had to watch my layout picture to be sure I put the sashing on the correct side of each chicken block. I wound up putting check marks on the printout just so I would know what I had already done.
At this point I had placed half of the blocks and was beginning to wonder how I was going to sew this setting together. But I think I have it figured out, even though it will entail partial seams.
The last thing I did tonight was to put the rest of the chicken blocks up on the wall so I can see how this setting is going to look for real. Now all I have to do is make 6 more 9 patch blocks and 6 small squares that will tie the blocks together.
I did want to show my sashing fabric. It has chicken wire in it which is I bought especially to fence in my chickens. My mother thinks that this fabric is a little too dark but I think that with all the brights in the chickens and the 9 patch blocks, it shouldn’t make the quilt dark.
I am almost sad that I won’t be able to work on this tomorrow. But when there is a quilt show within 100 miles of my house, I feel it is my bounden duty to show up, see what others are doing and check out the venders. And I think there are 4-5 quilt shops between here and there, too.