Monday, January 31, 2011

Oh, Boy, It’s Design Wall Monday

design wall 1-31-11

Here is my design wall for today.  This is mostly what I got done early last week but it is still on the wall so I am claiming it today.  I did the Bunny Hill block and the two LQS blocks from the Underground Railroad book.  I would have gotten more done but it was in the 70s Friday and Saturday and I spent both afternoons sitting on the deck, in the sunshine, reading.  I kept thinking that I would just read to the end of a chapter and then go in and sew, but it didn’t happen. 

Fortunately it was cloudy today and I made it into the studio.  The block on the lower right is the most recent Layer Cake Quiltalong: I really like it. 

recovering 1-11

The other thing I worked on is my first Journal Quilt.  3 Creative Studios has a journal quilt challenge in which quilters are supposed to make a quilt a week.  I, however, decided that one a month would be the best I could do (no artistic talent here).  This quilt is representational of our accident on 12/26/11.  I have the highway and our tire tracks.  It is made with a very light blue print.  The highway and tire tracks are done with stitches on my sewing machine and then the whole thing is covered with a bridal tulle that has sparkles on it.

This is the second “art quilt” I have done.  It is really hard for me to think out of the geometric box so we’ll see if I can do it again.

Be sure to stop by Judy’s blog to see what other quilters are up to. 

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice blocks on that design wall - you have been busy.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think that was a great idea for your journal quilt! One a month is a good goal. It's a stretch to come up with something great every week.

Bonnie said...

Good start on moving out of the box. It is difficult. I'm going to a retreat in June that will be a class on a more artistic quilt. We'll see how that comes out. Love your squirrel block. How about a close up?

Karen S said...

Nice job on your journal quilt. I imagine you'll find it easier as you do more.

Chris said...

So many great projects. I love your LCQAL block. I did not like how mine turned out :(

Quilter Kathy said...

Very cool layer cake block...I am behind on that project.
Love your journal quilt. I think you did a great job with the use of lines to represent an experience.

Laurie said...

I'm so tempted to do the journal quilt too. Maybe once a month would work for me? Then I really have enough to do. I hope the red snapper swork for you.

McIrish Annie said...

I am soo jealous! 70 degrees! We barely got out of the 20's this weekend.

I love your journal quilt. I took a class a few years ago. The more of them you do, the easier it gets to "think outside of the box". Your quilt definitely embraces the events of that event. Keep up the good work