Monday, April 4, 2011

Third Time’s The Charm

What does that mean? Well, for the third week in a row, the design wall remains the same. Does that mean I haven’t done anything? NO!!


finished



I quilted and bound this comfort quilt. I am very happy with how it turned out and hope it makes some child feel better.








quilting 2


I also began quilting Eleanor’s Egg Money quilt. My original plan was to custom quilt each block and border but early in the week I began thinking about where it was going and what would be appreciated by them. This quilt will be gifted to really great people who don’t have any knowledge or interest in quilting. They will value it because I made it for them but would not appreciate the hours it would take for custom quilting. So I decided to quilt using a panto.



quilting 1 The panto is feathers and I am using a light silver gray thread that blends with the colored fabric and shines on the white background.



almost quilted


And this is where I am in the quilting now. The quilt is 103” long so I really feel great at how far I have come. And, the binding is ready, too.



backing



This is the pieced backing (better picture to come after quilting is done). That was a chore itself but it did use up a lot of 30s fabric. And now that I am almost done with this quilting, I will be getting back to applique and piecing.




new toy


And what kept me from getting that quilt done? Well on Friday we shopped for our new toy and Sunday we went to buy it. We live on 5 acres and 2.5 is “yard.” I have been trying to keep up with parts of it with a push mower and finally decided that I deserved a riding mower. This one is supposed to be able to head into our woods and cut down the brush that grows up between the trees. And don’t I look like a natural?


Now, when you are finished laughing, ride on over to Judy’s blog to see what others are quilting.

12 comments:

Wilma Lee said...

Love the egg money quilt. I am really partial to 390s prints. They look so pretty and fresh. Wonder how far you are from me? I've never been to Alabama, lol.

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks like you have been very busy, aside from driving around the countryside in your new vehicle! How fast do you go on that thing...shouldn't you be wearing a bicycle helmet?!? LOL

Kari Nitzel said...

I really love the Egg quilt, very pretty and springy. Congratulations on getting a riding mower, it looks like a lot of fun.

Chris said...

The egg money quilt is sweet. Enjoy that riding mower!!

Vicki H. said...

I love the egg money quilt and the pieced back is great!! I think I am going to give the pieced backing a try. Your shirt matches your tractor, too, so you are a natural. My dad has one of those type of tractors and we borrow it in the winter for snow blowing and it is a great machine!!

Melinda said...

You look great and so does the quilt. I am sure the new owners will be as happy with it as they would have been if you did custom quilting.

Todd Lidh said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of John Deere ownership! I love ours!!

QuiltedSimple said...

you've been busy! and with 2.5 acres of yard - you NEED that machine - enjoy it!
Kris

Millie said...

You are one busy quilter. Love the pieced back, it will be two quilts in one. The Egg Money quilt is gorgeous!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I totally agree with you about not putting in a lot of quilting time on a quilt for someone who really doesn't understand the hours it takes to make a custom quilt. They will love it like you say because you made it for them.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Amy said...

Very fitting to be wearing a green shirt while riding a Deere! ;0) Love the machine.

Oh, and the quilt ain't shabby either :0)

Laurie said...

Love your machine. I have fond memories of riding our lawn mower although when we had a big yard we also had teenagers that thought mowing with a riding lawn mower was FUN so I didn't do it very often.