Sunday, January 12, 2014

After the Design Wall

But first:
sadie & meThis is me, sitting on the floor with Sadie, at the vet’s office.  We were really concerned when she started wheezing, yelping, and then not jumping on the furniture.  Fortunately the vet doesn’t think it is anything serious and gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and follow-up pills.  She was MUCH better after the shot but after that wore out she is more gradually getting better. 


It could be she is experiencing sympathy pain for me.  I, too, am better but my recovery from the furniture moving episode is taking more time than I would like.  Sadie and I are walking a little more slowly but are still moving.





004I did finally finish these socks.  All I had left to do was stitch the toes shut so I got busy and stitched them up.  In fact I am wearing them as I write this.  I love my hand knit socks.








007I did get my Carol Doak BOM on the frame and began the quilting.  I had thought to do custom feathering but after trying to come up with a plan I realized that this is going to be a gift to people who are not quilt people and will appreciate it without custom quilting. 










pantoI chose this panto from Urban Elementz because it is all feathers and curly cues, contrasting with the very geometric blocks.  (Sorry I don’t know the name as I cut that part off and can’t find it.)












backThis is the pieced backing.  I had bought the outer fabric but it was not quite enough to back the quilt so I found this complimentary fabric in my stash to go with it.  I like pieced backs but I really hate piecing them.  Confused smile







quiltingI love the color of this thread, an off brand, as it tends to fade into both the cream and the colored fabrics. 










quilting 2For some reason my stitch regulator is not working so I am having to be really careful of my speed to try to keep the the stitches as even as possible.  I am almost half way though so I should have it quilted by Friday.


I won’t be able to quilt on Friday as that is our anniversary (53 years) and we will be out celebrating, AGAIN.

toes coming alongThen after all that celebrating, I will probably rest and work some more on my toe up two at a time socks.  As you can see I have gotten a little more done.  I finished all the increases on the toes and am now knitting the foot.  I am not doing anything special, just plain socks, as I figure that is enough as I learn to remember to not twist the yarn or knit the same ball of yarn on both socks.  See, I don’t need a computer program to challenge my brain, I have all this other stuff going on.

Well, I guess that’s all I have to share.  I will be working on my BOMs this week and hope to get more sewn on Celtic Solstice so I can have something new on the design wall next week. 

Have a great week:  Gari

11 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Check all of your connections as they do loosen up. I hope that helps. I have a HQ 16 and know the feeling well.

Frog Quilter said...

Check all of your connections as they do loosen up. I hope that helps. I have a HQ 16 and know the feeling well.

Wonky Girl said...

Oh my, I was afraid you had hurt yourself moving all that furniture at once. I ended up with chronic nerve pain from trying to drag 80lb hay bales out of the truck. My doc said it is also aggravated by the fibromyalgia. No matter what i won't ever push myself again. The panto looks perfect, wish you could remember the name- ha, ha. I'll have to search for it and then add it to my list of wanted pantos. I look forward to seeing the BOM blocks you will work on. Maybe I'll be inspired to start mine.

Debbie said...

Glad you and Sadie are recovering. Love the panto for the Carol Doak BOM. I agree, you are doing a fine job of challenging your brain without a computer!

Denise :) said...

Your Carol Doak BOM quilt will be fabulous -- can't wait to see a finished pic of it! I agree -- I love pieced backs, but I hate piecing them! Have a great day! :)

Ramona said...

Your socks look great! And aren't they so warm? I have not learned to knit two socks at the same time, but it is on my list for this year. Your quilting is beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Hope you and Sadie are taking it easy :)
Happy Anniversary! An amazing accomplishment!

Sue Daurio said...

Love the panto you choose for the quilt, it's going to look fabulous and those socks are awesome. 53 years - holy smokes, Happy Anniversary to you two love birds! That is something to be super proud of!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love to knit socks too but I am so slow at knitting! I can make a whole quilt in less time than it takes me to knit a pair of socks. Yours are lovely.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the quilt that you are working on, the thread and the panto; all good choices! Your socks look so nice and ultra comfortable and warm. I don't knit, so custom knit socks seem so very complicated to me! Good luck to Sadie! Our dachshund, Hannes, had a prolapsed disk in his neck a year ago... it took months of TLC for and anti-inflammatories for him to come through it... he's fine now. Wishing you and your precious pup happy healing.

Kate said...

Sorry you are still in recovery mode, hopefully you and Sadie will be back to your normal selves soon.

Congratulations on 53 years! Hope you have a very happy anniversary celebration.