Friday, December 27, 2013

Just a Little Christmas

Safer stockingsWe decided to open our gifts on Christmas Eve this year and after that made the decision to move the stockings up onto the desk.  Why, you may ask.  Well, we have found that Santa usually brings more and bigger gifts than the socks can hold so there needs to be room for all that “stuff.”  In years past we have used our lounge chairs for the stockings but, again, with Sherlock in attendance we felt the desk was the safer place.  Boy, am I glad we found that desk when we did!




laundry basketIn the living room is the traditional Christmas laundry basket.  What?  You don’t have a traditional laundry basket for Christmas?  Well, when our children were young and we were visiting my parents my mother provided laundry baskets for each of the children.  As we opened gifts we were to put the wrappings in the baskets.  At the end of the gift opening we emptied the trash and the children put their gifts in their own baskets until it was time to go home.  So, with great glee, DH arrived in the living room with this basket which we more than filled as we shared what we had bought and/or made for each other.




Eric's new hatThe last gift he got was this hat that I had been knitting that day.  I hate to see him outside in the cold with his “little” bald head uncovered so I whipped this one up.  I was very proud of it as I finished it while we were watching Magoo’s Christmas Carol, another family tradition, just prior to opening our gifts.







1 secondAnd lastly, I do have to share one of the gifts that Santa brought me (it completely filled the sock).
















Iron Bowl 2013This represents a very exciting day as Auburn, my alma mater, again became SEC champs.














After all that excitement DH woke up Christmas morning with a pretty severe stomach flu-like problem.  He spent the whole day and evening in bed and/or the bathroom.  He was unable to eat or drink anything so it wasn’t until yesterday that we finally were able to have our traditional Chinese Christmas dinner.  One thing I have learned is that traditions change and wise is the one who is able to bend with the changes.


On the quilting front, I have been making units for Celtic Solstice but it is very slow going.  I am beginning to think that I will be making a table runner and two placemats instead of a whole quilt.  There are two new BOMs I have been looking at that I want to do and I have a quilt top that needs to be quilted soon so I think CS will have to be a smaller project.


And my knitting has been coming along nicely.  I am on the heel of the second sock for my purple/blue socks and started a dark blue pair yesterday.  Of course I ventured into the hat making process with DH’s hat and may make a couple more.  I really want to knit a sweater but have not found a nice yet inexpensive yarn I want to use so that idea is on hold for now.


I hope everyone reading this had a wonderful Christmas filled with family, friends, and fun.     Gari

6 comments:

Shari said...

Love the hat you made....looks just perfect. Hoping to knit my first socks this year...i keep knitting them inside out and just cannot get them turned around. My brain is not forthcoming for knitting socks, but i will keep trying. Maybe 2014 will be the year of the sock LOL Glad hubby is feeling better!

Judy D in AZ said...

First of all, I just love the baby on the sleigh-wonderful image.

I love hearing about other's holiday traditions. We do hom made eggnog and snacks on Christmas Eve and watch our favorite Christmas movies too!

I hope your H is better soon so he can enjoy his hat more.

Dar said...

I love your Christmas traditions. I have seen the laundry basket trick in the past at a relatives house that had small children. It's a great idea. Your hat for hubby looks like his head will be warm when he gets over his cold -- soon I hope. Hope you have a heathy and happy New Year too.

Kate said...

Glad that your guy is feeling better. Looks like you were on Santa's nice list!

Wonky Girl said...

What a good idea to use laundry baskets for clean up and sorting gifts. Yup, you were on Santa's good list for sure.
Ok, now you have done it. What two BOM's were you thinking about? Not that many of us need to start a new project! LOL

Bonnie said...

Fess up on the two boms. After watching your successful BOM I've decided to do an Art to Heart Christmas bom from one of their books. Which fusible adhesive do you like best? I'm planning to fuse and then buttonhole stitch around it. Any suggestions? The little one looks so cute on the wagon. Love that sweater!