Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend Studio Work




Saturday was a wonderful day: spent most of it in the studio.

I got the back pieced for Jazz.














And then finally got it on the frame.


Now, I had spent a lot of Friday looking for the batting I wanted (Quilter’s Dream 70-30 blend) and having visited 5 quilt shops, I still didn’t have it. I settled for a different batting and as of right now it is on the frame but not quilted. I don’t like it: it is stiff and rough. It is supposed to be a cotton/poly blend but it feels more like rough wool or a scrubbie pad. I really want to start quilting on it but I am going to try to hold off until I can try to find what I want.

ED: I can’t feel the stiffness when it is between the fabric layers so I am going to quilt it as is. I hope I am doing the right thing.

On Sunday I felt the need to do some piecing and I also realized that it was time to make another comfort quilt for guild. So I dug out some shirting I had gotten from the old shirt factory here and put it with some kids fabric I had hanging around.



I am calling it Puppies and with the blend of both pink and blue, I think it will work for either a boy or girl. I am putting 1” cream sashing between the blocks and a 2” cream border on the outside. I hope, if I have enough fabric, to have a blue binding on it.


But, before I can do any quilting stuff, it is time to mow the lawn, quick before it gets too hot outside.


4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I hope the batting works out -- it's so frustrating when it isn't what you were hoping for. Cute kid's quilt, too.

Julianne said...

Lovely quilts. I am thinking of makeing a black and white quilt some day.. LOL
I hope the batting works out well for you.

Lurline said...

Both gorgeous quilts!
Hugs - Lurline♥

QuiltedSimple said...

I hope the batting works out! And the backing looks so perfect for Jazz.
Kris