Sunday, July 19, 2009

Someone recently asked “which is your favorite quilt?” Thinking about it I realized that my favorite quilt is almost always the one I am working on. While I am designing, piecing, appliquéing, quilting and binding, my favorite is the current one. I get passionate about it, as anyone who reads my blogs can attest. However, I have noticed that I am extremely fickle. As soon as a quilt is finished, I either put it on the bed, drape it on furniture, or send it as a gift, and then I almost forget it as I focus on the new adventure. Don’t get me wrong. When I look at the former favorites, I still get that warm, loving feeling, but it is not the intense passion that I feel for the one that is “becoming” under my fingers. I LOVE the process. I love designing a quilt: choosing blocks, putting them together, figuring out color schemes, deciding on borders, etc. Then I love picking out fabrics: can’t buy a “line” because the process has been done for me. Of course I HATE cutting fabric but after that I love piecing blocks and even the changes to design that come either from inspiration or needing to cover for a mistake I have made (oh, yes, that happens).


On my design wall now are all the snail’s trail blocks and I today I finished sewing them together. I made the decision to make a pieced border and I finished one today.


I have a wide backing that I bought at MQX in 2008 that I think will work well for this so I probably won’t have to piece the back and I have decided I am going to quilt this with a panto but have not yet decided which one. I had one extra block, one that didn’t have a lot of value contrast, that I am going to use as a very large label. I have measured out the words that I will be embroidering on it and will get to work on that this weekend. Since the block is 12” I think it will go in the middle of the back and will be on the back before I quilt. But I know that once all of this is done and the binding has been sewn down, I will give it a hug, tell it how much I love it, and then turn around and move on to my next love.

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your snails trail pattern - the fabric is great. I to love to buy the extra wide fabric for the back - I don't like to piece backs although I do like some of them that people do where it looks like another quilt on the reverse side - but it is too hard to hand quilt through so I don't do those.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I feel the same as you do that my current one is usually my favorite. Your batiks are beautiful in that quilt, but how could you ever go wrong with batiks, LOL. Aren't they a pleasure to work with?

Twisted Quilts said...

I agree with you, the process is what I enjoy. I have been reading a couple of books about how much women enjoy the process of quilting and why. I like the way the snails trail came together. I like the way the two dark pieces on the left come together.

Unknown said...

I love that snail trail, so pretty.

Judy D in WA said...

Beautiful! I agree, it's the process for me also.

Mama Spark said...

I am digging the snails trail extravaganza! Keep up the good work!

Browndirtcottage said...

..hey....have you received my package of chicken fabrics??? It has been several weeks since I mailed it...????