Monday, November 1, 2010

Design Wall Monday November 1, 2010




Let me be brief. This is all I have accomplished since Wednesday. Thursday, of course, I was in NWFL conducting my two Weight Watcher’s meetings. Both groups are so much fun that it never seems like work.

On Friday I spent quite a bit of time in the studio trying to learn how to prep applique with paper templates and glue. Well, to say this experiment was a miserable failure would be an understatement. I got the parts prepped but then was unable to put them together. So I gave up in disgust and left the studio.

Saturday found me in a district wide Weight Watcher’s leader’s meeting: mandatory. It’s always fun to get together with people who are doing the same thing you are: this is a very solitary job. Anyway, the meeting was from 9:30 until 2:30 and then I was off to a quilt shop that was not quite on my way home. I needed some extra fabric for the Layer cake quilt along that starts this week. This particular shop was having a pretty good sale so I got my fabric for 25% and 50% off. Not bad, huh? (forgot to take a picture, sorry, but it will be showing up soon.)

So, Sunday I was back in the studio working on my applique. But I went back to what I knew (fused applique) and just worked really hard on the little bits. You will note that nothing has eyes and I have not yet stitched down the applique but I now have 4 of the 12 pieces almost done and am only 4 weeks behind the rest of the group. This is a 6 week “BOM” offered by Esther Aliu. She will be posting the 6th installment this week and some people have kept up with her: NOT ME! But I do plan to keep working on it and hope to have it hanging before Christmas.

And, if I want to get it done I better get back in the studio and get busy. Be sure to check out what others are doing over at Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Denise :) said...

Still loving your ornaments! Hey, where are you doing the layer cake quilt along?! I just happen to have one that I need to use. LOL! Have a great week!!! :)

Chris said...

Sometimes the journey just takes us back to what we know and love :) I do like freezer paper applique, but that is how I learned.

What layer cake are you using? I am using Origins.

Teaquilts said...

Like the progress on your 12 days of Christmas; so what if you're behind. Unlike me, at least you started the project. I don't do the method of applique you described with freezer paper, but have you tried regular needle turn? I end up going back to that method as the others frustrate me too.

pollyanna said...

Congratulations on leading WW meetings. It takes such a special person to motivate and assist those of us who are working on the process. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Hey...you're already almost 1/3 finished! Such a unique project...can't wait to see how it turns out.