Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Past

Well, another Christmas has come and gone.  For the two of us it has been quiet and fun.
ready for gift opening
When our children were little they clamored to open presents on Christmas Eve.  So we settled on opening gifts that had been sent and left the ones from each other for Christmas morning.  DH and I have continued that tradition but now there are more of the “sent” ones than the ones from each other.  So with coffee and pie at the ready, we prepared for our gifts.  And I must say we were greatly gifted.


001
One of the things we were given was a box with pancake mix, syrup and all the fixing for a good Christmas breakfast.  So, of course, I broke out our new electric griddle and we had pancakes.  I had planned to take a picture of the pancakes on the plate with butter and syrup but forgot until they were all gone.  But let me say that it was a great way to start the day.

After some more gift opening and Santa sock stuffing, we were on our way to the big city (100 miles).  One of the traditions we developed after all of our children moved away to start families of their own was to eat Chinese on Christmas (it used to be the only place open) and more recently to go to the movies. 

002
So Chinese it was.  I love Kung Po Chicken and was delighted to not have a buffet but could order what I wanted.  And we brought a bunch back so I will have at least 2-3 more great meals from it.  Yea!!!





And then we went to see The Hobbit.  We saw it in I MAX 3D and it was great.  Of course I loved all of the books and all of the Lord of the Rings movies so there was no doubt I would also love this movie.  And I have a “slight” fear of heights and tended to squirm and jump a few times.  DH just laughed at me but he jumped, too.

When the movie was over we made a stop for a bowl of soup and brought some Village Inn pie home for today’s treat.

Our evening was topped by a pretty interesting storm.  We rode on the edge of it all the way home and only got a little rain at the end of the ride.  We, however, had gusty wind most of the way which made driving interesting. 

After we got home the storm hit.  We had power blips and for some reason our internet connection is down: I am running on my iPhone’s hotspot.  We got 3” of rain and are still having very cold wind gusts but the worst is over and it is going to be a really good sewing day.

Now, everyone get some rest so you will be ready for New Year’s Eve.  We will be going to bed early as we will be traveling to Jacksonville, FL for the Gator Bowl.  DH is a Northwestern grad and we can’t miss them when they are playing anywhere near us.

Have a great week.

2 comments:

Kevin the Quilter said...

Sounds like you had an eventful holiday! Glad the storms didn't hit you like it did some. Eating Chinese on Christmas day reminds me of "A Christmas Story!"

Kate said...

Glad that you had a good Christmas day! Definitely sounds like an adventure filled one.