Monday, April 8, 2013

Opps-Very Little Sewing/Quilting

The Plan:  Spend a lot of time in the studio sewing, quilting, and designing. 
What Happened:  Spent a lot of time on the computer, sitting on the deck-reading, and general procrastinating.

block quiltingI finally did start quilting my Carol Doak table topper (seen here).  And on Sunday I went from the feathers and swirls to some ruler work on the star.










020I have never been good with rulers but have decided that the only way to get even a little better is to work with them.









018So that is what I am doing.  It seems really funny that the part of this quilting that is easy is “feathers” which less than a year ago I was afraid of trying.









april boms



Over the weekend I did get two BOM blocks fused. 

















april teapotHere is my April teapot: it is the 9th so we have only 3 more to go.  I guess it is time to begin planning the layout since I already have a place for it.  Right now it looks like layered fabric but when the stitching is done it will blend together.







DSC04675-001
Here is Rhonda’s.  Isn’t it neat how fabric makes such a difference?












april fishAnd once again I had the opportunity to dive into my batik stash to come up with a unique fish.  And the funny thing is that I have already started thinking up a unique setting plan for them and we still have 8 more months to go.  Pooh!





So, what did I do with all my other extra time?
Tools of the trade




Well, I got all of these tools out.












up off the floorThen I tipped our dining table over.  You see I have always wanted wheels on this table.  So a couple of weeks ago I bought 2 sets of wheels and waited for just the right day to begin this project.












wheels for the tableEach of the wheels had to be pounded into the plastic plug that I put in the leg.  Fortunately all that pounding was no problem for the table as it is solid steel and HEAVY.







wire to keep from slippingSo, when it came time to  pick the table back up I realized that now, with the wheels on, I needed something to keep the table from just rolling away rather than tilting up.  So I put an electrical cord down by the wheels.  But right away I could see that the cord would just move, too.









wire   yoga mat to keep from slippingSo I added a yoga mat and then placed a magazine holder on top of that so it wouldn’t move.  And it worked.  Now I must say that it was not easy to get that VERY HEAVY table up off the floor but ‘the old girl still has it.’






A Walk in the WoodsThen after all that exercise I went for a walk in our woods with the puppies.  All of the trees and bushes have young leaves but you still can just barely see the house and studio.  Pretty cool, huh?




This week I hope to finish my table topper and start work on an Esther Aliu UFO.  I also have two mug rugs I would like to work on, one more BOM, and another UFO that needs the borders put on.  It’s not like I don’t have things to work on, I just was taking a little break, I guess.

I will be sharing on Patchwork Times and What a Hoot

4 comments:

Nann said...

Sounds as though it's time to read (or re-read) "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and its companion volumes...I started to do this and then this happened and then that happened and all of a sudden the day is over!

Your teapots look great!

Rhonda said...

Okay...tools!!! OMG, you are so handy and very creative. The quilting looks great and of course that teapot is so pretty. Love the colors. Mr. Fishy is a cutie as well.
Take care and don't work too hard!!

Lynette said...

Whoa!! I *love* your red teapot, Gari. And I just love your ingenuity in getting that table up. :D

Kate said...

Your red teapot is such fun. Can't wait to see how you set all those together. The fish is fun too. Isn't if funny that with some blocks you know exactly how you want to set them from the get go and others, it takes a while for them to tell you what they want to be when they become a quilt?