Thursday, August 9, 2012

Checking In

Funkey Chicken 1
After finishing my 24 swap blocks on Monday it seemed as though I was never going to be able to be  back in the studio.  However, this afternoon I got to begin a new project, one that I have been looking forward to for a couple of months.  This is my first Funky Chicken block from Fat Cat Patterns.  I have been saving the patterns and even made this one before (see earlier post) as a birthday pillow for my mother.  I do fusible applique and have the pattern pieces drawn for two more chickens which I hope to be able to work on in the next week.  This one is only pressed but I really like the look, very different from the first one I also liked.



background fabric
This somewhat fuzzy picture is of the background fabric I chose.  First, there is no green in the real fabric.  Secondly, I picked it because the “leaves” kind of looked like chicken tracks.  I think the fun of doing this BOM will be that the blocks make me smile all the while I am working on them.  Smile



Henrietta plan
The other thing I worked on today was Henrietta Whiskers.  I got the center all sewed together and was just about to add the borders when I realized that it might be getting too big for the place I want to hang it.  So off to measure the space and the center and sure enough, I needed to make a change.  The original plan was seen here.  It is just the same as the original pattern.  I have decided to replace the original partial border, top and bottom, with smaller versions of the original outer border and will do a single binding using the original stop border.  It will then just barely fit in the space but will be the perfect Fall wall hanging for our dining room.

I started one other project but did not take any pictures, yet.  I bought a panto-cam and it came last week.  I opened the package, took out the instructions, read them and then decided I was too tired to deal with it.  Today I reread the instructions (no pictures) and took all the parts out and laid them on the quilt frame.  I then decided that I needed to see the video again to see where all those parts went and how they were to be put on the machine.  I may have to watch that video several more times before I get mine up and running but when it is done I will/should be able to view my pantograph from the front of the machine as well as see how the bobbin is doing as well.  Cool, huh?

 

3 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Your Funky Chicken turned out sooo cute! Someday......maybe.

Jessica said...

That Acorn Lane pattern is so cute! I LOVE fall!

Anonymous said...

I like the revised borders best. The original was pretty also, but you made a great choice. The funky chicken is adorable!!!