Monday, January 25, 2010

Abby, Design Wall and Done


I decided to share what I wake up to each morning. Isn’t she the cutest?


I don’t think Abby realizes that she is a dog. She sleeps under the covers, note the beautiful quilt she is under, and likes her head on the pillow. I have wanted to get a picture of this but until this morning, I had forgotten that I can take pictures with my cell.









On my design wall are the blocks from last year’s BOM at my LQS using Eleanor Burns’ Egg Money Quilts Book. These are definitely not my style but it has been fun both to try new things and getting together with other quilters to talk (complain) about some of the challenges. There is one more block to make and then one will be chosen to use as the label and it will be time to rearrange the layout. I spent part of Sunday, while a major thunder storm worked its way through our area, working on a layout design which I hope won’t look anything like any of the quilts in the book. This, of course, means lots more sewing but I am really excited about how this will turn out. I must say that this 30’s fabric is so far out of my comfort zone that that in itself has been quite a challenge for me. Every time I work with it I want to run to my batiks and dive into it. Be sure to stop by Judy’s blog to see what others are up to.

And, the great accomplishment of last week is that Sunday morning I finished the Not Quite Traditional quilt, now called City of Roses.




Saturday I kind of locked myself in the studio and sewed the binding strips together, pressed and then sewed the binding on. While doing that I embroidered the label so it got sewed into the binding. I really like the label to be permanently sewed in and this time I got it done in time. Sometimes it takes me almost as long to designing the label as the quilt but this one came together very quickly. Then Saturday night and Sunday morning was spent hand sewing the other side of the biding and throwing it all in the washing machine. And it only took me 24 days to do this one day project: remember it was a New Year’s Day class: for me it was a New Year’s Month class.































Have a great week!

13 comments:

Pat said...

I like your Eleanor Burns' blocks. Your City of Roses quilt finished up nicely, too. Your pup is so cute sleeping in a "people" bed like that!!!

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh it is LOVELY! Love the label - very pretty. And your Eleanor Burns blocks are neat - can't wait to see what you do with them
kris

Marla said...

I like the quilting on your quilt. Did you do it on your machine or on a longarm?

Diane said...

Your pup is so cute, my BIG Gordon setter thinks she's human too. Sleeps with her head on the pillow and her body stretched out when she gets on our bed! so funny. (on her dog bed she curls up)
I like your egg money quilt, it is good to move out of the ole comfort zone sometimes. Your City of Roses quilt is fab. I need to do one of those, looks like really cool quilting going on there.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your blocks even as you say they are not your style, I'm sure you will have something that suits you in the end - and if not you can present it to someone else! I made her Railroad Sampler and the quilt turned out great but it was not "me" and I passed it on.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Judy D in WA said...

The City of roses turned out fabulous! I love sampler quilts, this one has some great blocks in it.
Abby is adorable..I think most of our pets think they are human. ;-) Now if they would just do some laundry and empty the dw when asked!

Quilter Kathy said...

Good for you for challenging yourself with something new! It would be a challenge for me too to work with the 30's fabrics.
Your Abby is adorable...she thinks she is human!
Great quilting on your roses...congrats on the finish!

Ivani said...

City of Roses is a lovely quilt. No matter how long it took to you to make it, now it is finished and so beautifil. The quilting is gourgeous. I like also the stitched lable.
Abby is so sweet under the quilt. Sure she thinks she is human. LOL.
There are great blocks on your desing wall, it will be a great sampler quilt. - Hugs

Denise :) said...

Wow, you do beautiful work! I'll have to pull out my Egg Money Quilts book and seek inspiration! :)

Jessica said...

I still like that pink and yellow. "City of Roses" sounds like me. :-)

天天夜夜 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jan said...

City of Roses is beautiful! I did the Egg Money Quilt Sampler quilt, too and had fun being "outside my box" for a little while! Your puppy is so cute!

Sherri said...

I made the quilt from Egg Money Quilts also...we are using it now! It's not my favorite quilt...but like you, I tried some new techniques with it...my first Dresden and first Grandmother's Flower blocks!