Monday, January 18, 2010

Design Wall and Progress

My design wall continues to be empty. This is my ironing board with parts to a Turkey Tracks block on it, one of the blocks for the Eleanor Burns BOM at my LQS and due Thursday. As anyone can see this has not been a productive week in the studio.





When it started to warm up (yippee!!) I spent a couple of afternoons sitting in the sun reading and that was wonderful. I really like my Nook and I love that I can “sample” books before I decide if I want to buy/read them. But I don’t think I am going to keep the subscription to the newspaper as it is not as much fun to read as a regular paper.





I did work on the quilting for the Not Quite Traditional quilt class. I have quilted all but the two bottom borders.

This first picture is one of the four bear's paw blocks. In this picture the sashing isn't quilted but that is also done now.









This is the back of the quilt. The bobbin thread is purple but it doesn't show much in this picture. I did use a poly batting so the quilting shows even when the thread doesn't.





I must say that this is the most different quilting I have done and I’m pretty sure I will be using these quilting ideas again. Right now, however, I have to watch the beginning of the class video again so I can remember what we did on the top border. Have you ever had the problem of not remembering what you quilted on top? This happened to me on my very first quilt so I now try keeping pictures of what I have already quilted so the bottom can match the top.


And I guess the most important thing that has happened this week is that we celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary. It was yesterday but we began our celebration on Friday by going out to eat and to the movies: It’s Complicated. What a hoot and was even funnier that we were watching a movie about divorce and an affair while we were celebrating our LENGTHY togetherness.

12 comments:

Wilma Lee said...

You're doing a nice job on that quilt!!!!! I plan to get a quilt loaded on my new quilter today or tomorrow and see how she works, lol.

Melinda said...

I have a small notepad and do a little drawing of the top borders because I can't always remember exactly what I did by the time I get to the bottom. It is easier than unrolling to look at it and I know I can't count on my memory.

Gina said...

Love how the quilting is on that quilt.

Congratulations on the wedding anniversary

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Carrie said...

Congrats on your anniversary!! Wow, 49 years, that's awesome! I have the same trouble with remember what I did on the top border of my quilts. I also started taking pictures as I go for reference. So much better than tryning to rely in the brain, huh?

Jessica said...

Congrats on 49 years! I can only hope Todd will survive long enough to celebrate our 49th! ;-) I hope you had a lovely time.

Lurline said...

Happy Anniversary! You are doing so well with your quilting!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Lindah said...

49 years! Congratulations!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I think you're doing a wonderful job on the quilt Gari.
Happy wedding anniversary!
yf,
shell

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on the anniversary and the beautiful quilting!

Diane said...

Happy Anniversary!
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who can't remember what they quilted on the top of their quilts! I try to keep a little drawing (but sometimes I'll look at it and think-'what the heck IS that')so I take a picture too. SOMETIMES I think 'oh that's easy, I'll remember' yeah, right.

QuiltedSimple said...

your quilt is really looking lovely! have a great day
kris

Miri said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!

The quilt is looking good-lovely quilting!