Saturday, January 2, 2010

We’re Back

We had a great three days in Central Fl. On Wednesday we drove down to Lakeland FL where we began a short visit with my mother. Because she has been wanting to upgrade her computer system, we have been looking at laptops, etc for her. Well, coincidentally, Best Buy offered a inexpensive laptop, router, and in home set up package. So on Thursday we all went to Best Buy and she bought the computer, router, wireless printer and the in home instillation. And then she added a digital camera she has also been wanting. She had the nicest salesperson who, along with me, helped her make her decisions.














When we left her we had opened the camera and got it working: also pointed out the operating manual, several times. All those very little dials get confusing so I told her to keep the manual handy at all times.

We did have a little excitement. We had left Mother to rest from the morning’s excitement and when we came back she didn’t answer the doorbell. We didn’t know if she just didn’t hear it or there was something wrong. So while DH remained at the door, I started around the side of the house to see if I could see in the back window. On the way I tripped over a protruding stepping stone and fell, face first onto the stone covered stones. So, this is what I looked like:














I have to say it really hurt: there must be a lot of nerve endings in one’s forehead. Anyway, I cleaned it us as best I could and we headed to the hotel where I really slept well. The next morning, 1/1/10, I got up to get ready to go to the football game and this is what I looked like:












I don’t wear much makeup, or even had any with me, but it kind of looked like I had put a little too much on my left eye and none on the right. And I can pull my bangs over the scratches so I sucked it up and off we went to the game.

Now, I have said before that I really do love my husband, right? Well, sometime in mid-December I asked him if this stadium was a dome or not. He assured me it was and I asked him to check anyway. Every time I asked he assured me it was domed so I didn’t take outside gear. Imagine my dismay when we pulled up, in the rain, to find it is an outside stadium with all seats (other than the boxes) out in the open. I almost stayed in the truck. Now he had said we should get there early so we could get a good parking space but did you know that they don’t open the stadium until 1 ½ hours prior to kickoff? So we got to stand around outside the stadium for about 1 ½ hours, in the rain, waiting to go inside to sit outside in the rain. After a while I noticed that several people were opening packages of slickers. It only took DH an hour to hear me when I was telling him we could buy some, too. I was willing to pay almost anything to not be wet. Once the slickers were on we were let into the stadium where we found our really great seats. We were sitting on a single row “balcony,” right at the 50 yard line.














We were about 20’ from some of the cameras for TV. No one behind us to spill on us and no one in front of us to get in the way of our view. And, of course, it didn’t hurt that after all the excitement, and overtime, MY TEAM WON!!!!!!!! Both teams played a great game and the crowd was loud and enthusiastic. And we came home with new Outback Bowl t-shirts.

After the game we headed home. We stopped to go through a new, to us, antique mall and also for a meatloaf dinner at Boston Market, one of DH’s favorite places to eat. Getting home around 9:30 allowed us to spend a little time with the puppies, who were really glad to see us and then fall asleep in our own bed.

This morning, after sleeping in for a while, this is the progress on my newly renovated facial features:






This does not look like make-up and I was surprised to see it had migrated to the other eye. I have to say that except for the skin burn on my forehead and one finger I must have come down hard on, none of this really hurts but it is looking really bad. The funny thing is that I begin teaching a new Weight Watcher’s class on Monday. Won’t I make a great impression?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, yikes....tell the new WW group that you fought the battle of the bulge and YOU won!!! I know foreheads are sensitive as I had a lot of discomfort with the skin cancer surgery on my forehead in November. I don't think you want me to show you the incision from that time!!! I'm glad you were able to sit in decent seats for the game, too....and that your team won!!! How is mom doing with her new computer setup?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

OUCH! that looks sore - and the bruises/black eyes normally look worse than the feel. Bet you will be back to normal in no time at all though.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness, what a terrible thing to happen. I hope that you are doing better now. Where are you coming from. If you had asked around (;-) blog land I could have told you that the stadium in Tampa is an open one. Next time check with your friends :-D

Todd Lidh said...

Mom, it looks like you used your face to block that Northwestern point-after-touchdown attempt! I'm so sorry to hear about the fall, but I'm glad it looks worse that it feels. Glad you had a good time, and happy new year!

amy smart said...

Those are some impressive bruises! Ouch! Looks like you were down there on the field getting in on the action at the game! Glad you found a way to stay a little drier. And at least you weren't as muddy as those players! :)

Jessica said...

...and I'm assuming your mom is okay???

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It's always great to document the scrapes and bruises. You will have to just tell the WW's that you won and they should see the other guy.

Gretchen said...

Looks like you played in a bowl game! Ouch!