Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Bit of Both

Our Sad News first: our wonderful little Maltipoo died on Monday. Jessica was 11 years old and over the last year had been slowing down and displaying a little arthritis in her limbs. On Monday morning DH was awaken hearing her moaning and crying, a little. He also noted that her stomach was distended. So up he got and took her to the vet. I was called about two hours later to pick her up and when I got there the vet showed me her x-ray and showed me a tumor that appeared to be filling her stomach area. The vet who does the surgery was not in so we made arrangements to bring her back on Tuesday morning to decide what to do. I brought her home and she was a little listless: I figured that they had sedated her so they could poke and prod. She seemed to have disappeared but I found her sleeping in the bathroom so I left her to be able to be quiet. When DH got home that afternoon, he found that she had died in her sleep. It was with tears we buried her but with smiles and laughter as we remembered all the joy she brought to our home.



On a more positive note, I got my jelly roll block 3 done. Isn’t this pretty? I am really enjoying making these blocks. They are easy and the fabric is so pretty, kind of like an island paradise. I may have to make a second set so this can be a bigger spring/summer quilt.





And, I think, the reason for spring is the reminder of renewed life. Here is an updated shot of my first rosebud.

There are now several smaller buds on the bushes but this will be the first rose of spring and I am so excited.

16 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

I am so sorry to hear that! poor jessica. and your quilt blocks? lovely. the colors are fantastic
kris

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jessica. Even I have memories of her.

South Jersey Quilter said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. The fuzzies are truly a part of the family.
Holly

Jessica said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jessica. She was a cute little dog. I'm glad it was peaceful in the end. I'm thankful for my Ponce each and every day.

Todd Lidh said...

A sad day, to be sure. Sorry to hear about Jessica, but I'm glad she had such a loving home.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Having just lost our beloved cat of 15 years, my heart goes out to you.

Hugs from afar.

Lori said...

Jessica will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hugs to you and your family

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh poor little Jessica doggie. Many prayers for you and her.
hugs and friends,
shell

Gretchen said...

My deepest sympathies for the loss of your dear Jessica. Hugs from Atlanta.

Kelly Ann said...

Gari...my heart aches for you and your husband...there will always be a small paw print on your heart left there by your sweetie Jessica.

Oma said...

I am so very sorry. She had such a good life and was so loved. It is heart wrenching to lose a pet. My dogs and cat are my children now and I do dread the day that we lose them. Hugs from Auburn.

Sheryl said...

Many condolences on the death of your dog. Anyone, including myself, who has loved a pet can understand your grief. God bless you!

quiltmom anna said...

So sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved pet. Pets are special friends in families so I am sure you will miss her terribly.
It sounds like you gave her a great and loving send off.
Regards,
Anna

Mary Johnson said...

So sorry to hear about Jessica, I'm know it must be difficult but there are worse things than quietly going in your sleep.

Thelma said...

I am so sorry to read about your dog, it seems like it takes forever to quit looking for them around the house after they're gone.

I made my jelly roll block yesterday, and I agree, these are easy and fun blocks. I'm so glad I decided to participate.

Judy D in WA said...

I'm so sorry you lost your little friend. They do steal our hearts.

Your jelly roll block is fabulous. I love how bright it is. Isn't this a fun fast project~