Monday, March 1, 2010

Just Under the Finish Line


Yesterday I felt like a marathon runner who is really slow but finally makes it to the finish line. I have been doing OPAM since it started 14 months ago and yesterday morning decided that for the first time I wasn’t going to have anything finished for February. Then in the afternoon I remembered that I had a 2 yd piece of faux fur that I wanted to make a throw out of. I also remembered that last Tuesday I bought some black minki-like fabric for the back. Well, I got them both out, trimmed them to the same size and sewed them together and, viola, a beautiful throw that I will be using in the studio and at least one February finish. I felt so much better.




















I know this picture looks a lot like the one from Wednesday but there is difference, I have sewn together some of the drunkard’s path blocks. I am concentrating on sewing the circles first so I can take everything down and use the wall for other projects. I have cut the base fabric for the appliqué border but that is as far as I have gotten. Next I will need to look for appropriate flower and leaf appliqué templates and I need to find just the right green for the stem. So this week I plan to cut the strata for the piano key border and figure out what fabric to use for the inner border. Then this will be an “ongoing” project to work on while I start new quilts.


Oh, and I did have one partial finish. I finished the quilting on my baby quilt. But I couldn’t get it done for Feb. since I hadn’t even thought about what I was going to use for binding. Usually I have that all ready when I put a quilt on the frame but not this time. So I am starting a UFO pile for quilts that need binding. Lets hope that pile only has one UFO at any one time.

My SIL and BIL stayed a couple of extra days due to the snow they would have had to travel through to get back to NH. One of the inducements I used to help them make the decision was to sign Cera and me up for a lamp work glass beading class. We went Saturday and for three hours played with fire and molten glass. We had a great time, even when I burned my fingers trying to pick up a piece of still very hot glass. Cera was already scheduled to take a bead making class later this month so this just gave her a jump start. I don’t know if I will do any more but I really love playing with hot glass. I didn’t get any pictures because both hands were busy. I am supposed to pick up the beads sometime this week (too hot to take home Sat) so I will take pictures then. Believe me, I quilt better than I bead….so far.

8 comments:

Kay said...

I like what you're doing with the Drunkard's Path blocks. It's such a versatile block.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Isn't it fun just to do things once to give it a whirl?? Can't wait to see the beads. The drunkards path is coming along nicely!

Unknown said...

Love the "fur" throw! Just beautiful! The 30s sampler with the drunkard's path blocks are fabulous! 30s are some of my favorites. I can't wait to see the beads. I love beads. I don't know what it is, but they just make my heart sing.

jovaliquilts said...

I always have some fleece and/or minkie on hand -- what a great idea to pull it out and get a "finish" when you need one!

Judy D in WA said...

The fur looks so toasty! I am loving your DPs. That quilt is going to be stunning!!! Hot glass--how fun......can't wait to see the beads.

Teaquilts said...

Gorgeous quilt setting.

Ivani said...

Wow. What a great layout. This will be an awesome quilt.

Brenda said...

OPAM. Hmmmm. Interesting. And, see, you started a fantastic habit and you could not stand to not make it happen. So, good for you!!! You did get a beautiful finish for Feb. Great habit to have!!! I should create that habit. and I will. Not right now, but I am going to have this habit too.
Good habits are great to have!!

And I like the bead class story. It is great to have more than one or two crafts - and this is one I have never even thought of!! Really good post - I enjoyed it alot!! Thank-You!